Friday, May 6, 2016

Kappa Brass Quintet

Ah… this poster brings back fond memories of my early college years - playing in a top-notch brass quintet. Even more so, its a story of the triumph of hippies vs. nerds!

Without my knowledge or approval, I was picked--as an incoming freshman--to live in a music fraternity. Although it was located in one of THE best dorms on the campus, the fraternity (i.e. my dorm mates) were a bunch of dorky full-fledged music nerds. I really wanted nothing to do with them socially, especially as I was beginning to "spread my hippie wings,"so to speak.

Living in this nerd land music community got so increasing weird that I finally opted to move to the opposite side of the campus into a non-music oriented dorm. The fraternity had started pestering me to pledge (yeech!), but I finessed the ultimate retribution by joining the rival music fraternity’s brass quintet right before I changed dorms. HAH - I never even joined the rival fraternity, I just played in their Brass Quintet!

Oh yeah, the Kappa Fraternity was the polar opposite: hippie-infused, counter-culture cool dudes and--most importantly--the brass quintet were all upperclassman and top-notch players. I was honored!

We performed quite a few concerts and even had a mini tour across upstate NY playing Skidmore and Hamilton College, etc. It was a privilege to be asked to be part of this ensemble and I had a blast musically and socially!

Good memories from this poster for sure!

No comments:

Post a Comment