Monday, July 22, 2019

Central City and the Mines

On Monday I gave my family a break [from me!] and got together with two friends. Jerry was super super generous and offered to drive me to the mountains and indulge me in documenting the mining and narrow gauge railroad remnants. It was great! As a "tour guide for Platapub Tours" he gets an A++++ rating :-)

Clear Creek Canyon

We headed into the mountains via Clear Creek Canyon and (unlike my son last year!: -) ) we stopped whenever I spotted a railroad or mine remnant.
Do you see the RR Right of Way remnant?
Jerry is a serious photographer!
Driving thru the tunnel
Railroad Remnants - OOO YEah!
Idaho Falls
Bill met us in Idaho Falls for lunch...
Good times!

"Oh My God!" Road

Next we headed north on the infamous OMG road. As Jerry explained, this was the gold mining area and almost everywhere you looked there were mine remnants. I ventured into the entrance of this one:
Behind the metal frame door, the shaft continues horizontally for quite a distance
As we continued the drive, mine remnants were everywhere!

We stopped by this stone building and started chatting - the conversation turned to past adventures and my story of nearly drowning in Rio de Janeiro was mild in comparison to Jerry's and Bill's harrowing experiences white watering! I think we might have chatted there forever but rain pushed us back in the car(s) to continue our journey.
More mines ...

Central City

As we entered Central City, Jerry pointed out the classic cowboy sign - "Grocery Liquor Dispensary" - all the essentials for the late 1800s miner!
Right in the midst of the town, we saw stark reminders of its mining origins.
Ooo yeah!
Coal Shute?
 We next drove to El Dorado Springs - the mountains around us were--needless to say--stunning!

El Dorado Springs

For our last diversion/excursion, Jerry drove into the funky (in a good way) town of El Dorado Springs). Rough dirt roads keep the "posh unadventurous tourists" away :-) and the hippie artist type permeates the vibe here. Jerry made sure I checked out one of his friend's sculpture garden - a mighty talented dude!!
 Heading west out of the town, the majestic canyon begins...

Another awesome day - thank you Jerry and Bill!

1 comment:

  1. Awesome adventure, you guys!!!! What incredible history!!!!

    ReplyDelete